Transforming Internal Communications | Newsweaver IC Conference
Richard Donovan, Head of Internal Communications, UK&I at Experian, started the sessions by bringing attendees through the journey that his team has been on for the last three years. This journey saw them transform how they communicate internally and how Experian UK&I employees engage with their messages.
- Internal communicators need to help employees understand what their organization stands for – and what it does – in a way that excites the people that work there and makes them want to tell the stories outside the company:
- Treat employees not as staff members but as consumers when communicating with them, get their attention in bold and exciting ways
- Approach internal communications by using the following steps; Get people’s attention, stimulate their desire – and then reinforce with reason
- Know your audience; what do they want to know, what are the struggling to find, how do they want to be communicated with, etc.
- The four-stage model that Experian UK&I follow:
- Have a destination in mind
- Know your starting point
- Have all stakeholders pointing in the same direction and with a role to play
- Be bold, keep trying new things but don’t be afraid to admit something didn’t work