The Truth About Migrating to a Cloud-Based Platform
— August 6th, 2021
Many business leaders, and the IT teams that support them, have realized the need for digital transformation. It’s unsurprising that along that digital transformation path, IT teams are evaluating the hidden—and sometimes major—costs of continuing to support various solutions with on-premises infrastructure. Initial setup and ongoing maintenance costs are sometimes hidden across other IT spend categories—along with the costs of the facility they are housed in.
None of this is new information—but given the challenges of supporting an on-premises installation, there are plenty of reasons to look for a better solution. For many businesses, that better solution is the Cloud. However, the perceived risks of moving to a cloud-based digital signage system still give some IT leaders pause. Adding to that, there are a few myths that delay businesses from realizing the value of a modern, cloud-based digital signage platform. Let’s get specific on what some of these myths are and get clear on what is real and what isn’t.
Myth #1: Cloud-based platforms present more of a security risk for my company.
False – Poppulo puts security and compliance at the forefront of everything we do. Poppulo’s Security, Cloud Operations, and Development teams work together to ensure the platform that powers digital signage networks for thousands of leading companies remains secure in a world where data breaches are becoming more commonplace.
Myth #2: Cloud applications are inherently insecure
False – Poppulo Harmony been built using the ISO 27001 security framework, audited using the SOC2 reporting framework, and is GDPR compliant. Additionally, we conduct regular penetration tests with some of the most security conscious organizations, support government agencies, and work with some of the most recognizable companies in the world.
Myth #3: Migrating to Poppulo Harmony is difficult, and I don’t have the resources to manage that kind of project.
False – While there are things that must be identified early in migration planning, we have a process that makes it as simple as possible and can even empower your team to take control of the migration. Often, our customers actually end up handling a majority of the migration because it's so straightforward. Whether you want help, or would prefer to handle things on your own, we can help you out however you need! Poppulo has an entire Upgrade and Conversion team dedicated to helping our clients move their content and data.
Myth #4: We have several automated workflows currently in place—and ongoing updates will likely break them.
False - Updates will enhance and optimize your existing workflows, especially those that are related to contributing content to your digital signs. Upgrades to non-installed applications make this process a breeze, plus deliver ongoing value by ensuring your network is always optimized.
We’ve talked about the hidden costs of your on-prem solution, and hopefully put your mind at ease on the various perceptions of Cloud. But what about your end users?
Let’s start with your administrators—the folks who onboard users and manage your device network. Poppulo Harmony:
- Provides greater flexibility and cost savings when it comes to selecting hardware for your digital screens and devices
- Gives real-time visibility to any network issues, including automated alerts whenever a device goes into an offline status, letting your team know of any issues before a report from the field comes in
- Applies the level of governance your teams require with user-based permissions and SSO integrations
Now let’s look at your contributors—those that create and publish content to your screen. Poppulo Harmony:
- Enables teams to get up and running quickly—no onboarding or training required to publish dynamic and impactful content. Our mobile-friendly tool puts the power of enterprise digital signage management right in your pocket
- Encourages every department to drive internal communication within their own teams, or to the rest of the organization, based on both team and business goals
- And saving the best for last—all of your internal customers gain access to the latest and greatest features without having to undertake complicated upgrades.
Interested in learning more? Contact us!